Sunday, August 26, 2012

Nebraska Trip



Andrew, my mom and I left for Nebraska at 5 am on August 10.  We had Tevita and his wife Cristi stay at the house while we were gone.  The drive to Nebraska was quick.  I drove the first few hours and then Andrew and my mom took the rest of the trip.  The first night we went straight to my grandma Pat’s and had dinner with Grandma, Julie and Emily.  Grandma made these pizzas on bread and had fresh tomatoes.  Unfortunately, I could only have a bite of the yummy tomatoes because a few days before I had eaten a cinnamon candy, and apparently I’m allergic to Cinnamon so my mouth had blisters in it and it was excruciating to eat acidic foods.
 The next day we went boating and fishing with my dad.  We caught about 12 fish.  Andrew and my dad ended up eating it all that night.  I couldn’t eat any because I’m not supposed to eat fresh fish, especially out of the Elkhorn River, but I could tell little V wanted some. 
On Monday evening we went out to the Fremont Lakes with the Smith side of the family.  We did some boating, the boys tubed and then we barbequed.  It was a great time.  The rest of the week, we spent most of our time boating on the river with my dad.  We didn’t get in the water too much this year because the river was so low there was hardly any to swim in.  Andrew did get in one time and had the genius idea that we should stir up the flying carp and he would attempt to catch one.  HAHA that was a fail, but it was fun to watch.  Last year the flying carp were just beginning to enter the river system and now they have almost taken over.  They are crazy little creatures.  The vibrations in the water cause them to jump out of the water and go crazy.  We found it amusing to drive the boat where we knew they were and watch them fly around.  (My dad even had one land in his boat the week before we got there). 
The day before we left, we had the Oltjenbruns family out for a fish fry.  It was great to see everyone, including old friends that I hadn’t seen in years.  Everyone enjoyed lots of fish, boat rides and catching up.  The next morning we left my dads at 4:15 am and started our LONG journey home. 
We had such a great trip and already can’t wait to go back.  I love going to Nebraska and love that I get to go every year with my best friend.  We had so much fun together and I love how well he gets along and fits in with my family. 




 Cat fish
 Me and Kenz

 Corn Toss- Andrew dominated
Dad, Me and Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment