Thursday, December 29, 2011

25 Years and I finally Tried It

Growing up in Utah where the greatest snow on Earth falls every winter, you would think that at some point in my 25 years I would have taken the opportunity to try my luck with skiing.  Well I hadn't until Megan and her cousin from Nebraska, Kyle, decided to take me.  We went to the Brighton Ski Resort.

At this ski resort, like all others I'm sure, it seemed like everyone had been skiing for years; and that included the 5 year old's on their little ski's zipping down the mountain.  In the past I had tried out snowboarding and absolutely hated it! Seeing all of those little kids on their skis doing so well got me excited.  The first two hours were two of the most frustrating hours I have ever spent trying something new.  My body contorted in to positions that I never knew existed.  The highlight of the first hal of the day was when I decided to try and go through a little terrain...apparently I went in to the wrong section, because as soon as i went off to the beaten path the snow got really soft and deep, I did the splits, sunk in to the snow and fell head first in to the snow so that only my backside was uncovered...My skis were so far in to the snow that i could not reach them to un-clip the boots, it literally took me five minutes to push myself in to an upright position.

After our lunch break things began to get better.  I was actually able to make it down the mountain without falling every five seconds.  By the end of the day I was able to make it down the mountain with only falling maybe once or twice, and I was having fun.



I really did enjoy skiing.  Enough so that I day dreamed about the feeling of carving back and forth down the mountain for the next week.  I had a blast and am excited to go back!  Thank you Meg!

No comments:

Post a Comment