Monday, May 9, 2011

Mushroom Hunting



I think it's considered a sin to be from Nebraska and never have gone mushroom hunting.  Both of my parents had told stories of their mushroom hunting experiences, but I never really knew what it was all about.  So my second day here in Nebraska my dad took me out on his airboat and we stopped at his "mushroom hunting" spot.  Unfotunately for my legs, I was not informed that I would be hiking through a forest full of poison ivy, ticks and sharp bushes.  I was wearing shorts and flip flops.  I think I was more worried about looking for poison ivy than mushrooms.  I don't know exactly what poison ivy looks like, but I've been told it has four leaves on top,so I tried to avoid anything that resembled a four leaf plant .  We hunted for about 20 minutes and only found old mushrooms.  (There's only about a week span that the mushrooms are good and we were a few days late it looked like)  So though I've been mushroom hunting, I've still never eaten these mushrooms.




Me sporting my sceptical face

The forest we hunted in

This is what the mushrooms look like , this ones a little old but you get the idea  (Not was I expected)


No comments:

Post a Comment